Armando Hits the Stage!
Armando became a children's musical written by Pat Lydersen and Wendy Woolf and performed by the Park Dale Players. Here we are—actors, authors, playwright, composer, and choreographer with teacher David Lynch, our book's "Señor David." Catchy songs, comic twists, clever narration, and jazzy staging! The full production made its debut in March 2010 in Encinitas, California.
Winter 2009 / Spring 2010
Our five terrific Park Dale Players actors at the Armando show
- November 3 - KPBS interviews Edith Fine and playwright Pat Lydersen on Armando and the Blue Tarp School. Listen to the interview here
- November 14 - Armando and the Blue Tarp School, the children's musical, hits the stage at David Lynch’s Responsibility Gala. (Full play debuts in March 2010 in Encinitas, California) Fabuloso! www.responsibilityonline.org
- December 2 - Judith and Edith videoconference with Orange County students, California Young Reader Medal Award "Meet the Author Series"
- January 2010 - Armando and the Blue Tarp School play try-outs
- Spring 2010 - Spanish version of Armando and the Blue Tarp School, Lee & Low Books.
- March 10, 2010 - Author videoconference, San Diego students on California Yong Reader Medal
- March 18–21, 2010 - Armando and the Blue Tarp School, the full children’s musical debuts
- Teacher David Lynch enters his 30th year of educating the children of the Tijuana dump. Responsibility expands its scope to a Matagalpa, Nicaragua dump. The Power of One!
- Students across California are reading Armando and the Blue Tarp School, a California Young Reader Medal nominee. (Teachers! Activities available at the California Young Reader Medal web site www.californiayoungreadermedal.org and at www.bluetarpschool.com)
- Fall—five young actors rehearse Armando and the Blue Tarp School script and five songs, including "The Blue Tarp School," "¡Fuego! ¡Fuego!" and "Someday, Maybe" for upcoming Gala
- October 11, authors discuss Armando and the Blue Tarp School and California Young Reader Medal, Grossmont Barnes & Noble
- October 16, Coast News, article on California Young Reader Medal and the Armando children’s musical
- October 17, Edith and Judith on panels at the Vista and Encinitas Libraries, San Diego County Library’s Page One, a celebration of the written word
- November 14, The Park Dale Players present a preview of Armando and the Blue Tarp School the lively children’s musical, at David Lynch’s Responsibility Gala, www.responsibilityonline.org
Spring / Summer 2009
- Authors present at San Diego County Authors’ Fair
- Responsibility Luncheon, La Jolla
- California Young Reader Medal nominee, 2009–2010. Exciting!
- San Diego Children’s Book Festival, signings at Yellow Book Road and San Diego Chapter SCBWI booths
- Authors selected by The Greater San Diego Reading Association to receive the 2009 International Reading Association’s Celebrate Literacy Award for their contributions to literacy, writing, teaching, and for their school visits
- School visits around San Diego
Spring / Summer / Fall 2008
- Armando and the Blue Tarp School featured on the cover of The California Reader, the journal of the California Reading Association. Helen Foster James writes about Armando and the Blue Tarp School and the Nitty-Gritty Grammar guides; plus an article by Judith and Edith wrote about writing Armando, page 3
- Book Link’s Lasting Connections list
- Two Armando and the Blue Tarp School signings at American Library Association conference, Anaheim
- Judith presents at Kimbrough Elementary—San Diego and Mission Middle School—Escondido
- Picture book winner, San Diego Book Awards
- Author visits—Explorer Elementary and Fletcher Hills Elementary, San Diego
- Winner, 2008 Paterson Prize
- Signing at Yellow Book Road & SCBWI booths, San Diego’s Children’s Book Festival
- Skipping Stones Honor Book
- Judith and Edith present at San Diego County Authors and Illustrators Day
- Bank Street Best Children’s Books of the Year List
- Cooperative Children’s Book Center "Choices"—Best-of-Year List
- February, San Diego State University’s "Week of Caring" features David Lynch, Responsibility, Inc., and Armando and the Blue Tarp School
- Online reviews at papertigers.org, entrepreneur.com, and others (Google for more)
- September, Responsibility, Inc. dinner, San Diego
- Author visit, Hardy Elementary School, San Diego City Schools
- Panel participant and signing at SCBWI, San Diego meeting
- Creation of web site, www.bluetarpschool.com, with book trailer, music courtesy of classical guitarist Esteban
- California Reading Association Conference session on Writing for Children, featuring Armando and the Blue Tarp School
- Keynoters for David Lynch’s, Responsibility, Inc. annual fundraiser; the inside story of creating Armando and the Blue Tarp School
- Interview article in North County Times
- Armando available in bookstores and online! Yippee!
- Three strong reviews: Kirkus, School Library Journal, Booklist
- Signing, Yellow Book Road, San Diego’s only independent children’s bookstore